“Water Is Life” K-12 Student Art Contest
Foothill Municipal Water District (Foothill) recently concluded its 6th annual “Water Is Life” student art competition. The contest was open to all students, in grades K-12, attending a school located within the service area of a member water agency that Foothill serves.
The District received 115 total entries this year and the top 15 entries will be submitted to the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) for further consideration to be included in the 2018 “Water Is Life” student art calendar. Winners will be selected in the fall and honored at a student art exhibit and recognition event sponsored by MWD. Criteria for judging the art pieces consisted of addressing the theme of the contest, originality of the piece and slogan, and degree of visual and word clarity.
The top 9 entries will receive further recognition through an FMWD Board of Directors Meeting on May 15, 2017 where students will receive prizes including gift certificates from fellow sponsors Los Gringos Locos Restaurant and The Flintridge Proper Restaurant.
The top 9 entries are as follows:
7th – 12th Category
• 1st Place – Alexie Gallo, 7th Grade, Eliot Middle School
• 2nd Place – Andy Hwang, 12th Grade, Crescenta Valley High School
4th – 6th Category
• 1st Place – Vivienne Norris. 4th Grade, Crestview Preparatory
• 2nd Place – Chia Matsuka, 6th Grade, Palm Crest Elementary
K – 3rd Category
• 1st Place – Lauren Park, 2nd Grade, Palm Crest Elementary
• 2nd Place – Arra Cho, 2nd Grade, Paradise Canyon Elementary
• Honorable Mention – Minjiao Maxon, 7th Grade, Odyssey Charter School
• Honorable Mention – Crystal Smith, 6th Grade, Elite Art School
• Honorable Mention – Chloe Calix, 1st Grade, Paradise Canyon Elementary
Foothill Municipal Water District provides imported water to Crescenta Valley Water District, La Cañada Irrigation District, Mesa Crest Water Company, Valley Water Company, Lincoln Avenue Water Company, Las Flores Water Company and Rubio Cañon Land & Water Association. Kinneloa Irrigation District, another retail agency, takes no water from Foothill. https://www.fmwd.com/